Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Millennials...The scourge of the world

Rant Time. So, I have been reading up on the term millennial. I didn't know a name that defines a whole generation could have such a negative connotation. The me generation...come on, really? Let's not forget that we are all self-indulgent and narcissistic. Bluh. The fact that we have nostalgia for the past, that's downright tragic. Jobless, peter pan wannabes with no motivation to seek a life of our own. These are the things I have been reading about my generation. Our generation. Sickening.

I mean...I could do some self reflection and realize that I write a blog almost everyday about nothing. I think that I have valuable things to say, that doesn't make me narcissistic...does it? Everyone likes to talk about themselves, share their stories, make their lives known. After all, everyone is the main character in their own life, right?

Every college kid worth their salt has a tirade about the awesomeness of 90's nickelodeon at their fingertips, but since when is nostalgia a problem? If people in their 80's can do it, why can't we? Is it so sad to yearn for the feelings of time gone by?

 Just because we grew up in an age of instant gratification, doesn't make us self-indulgent...does it? So what if I want things instantaneously, that doesn't make me a bad person. I don't want to live at home forever, but what if that's not optional? A shoddy job market does not make for a very reliable lifestyle.

This rant flickered out quickly. It's hard to look in the mirror and realize that you aren't what you think you are. The truth hurts I suppose. It's easy to place the blame on others and that's what most of us do. Is it really our fault that we were raised to appreciate praise? Everyone wants to have value, be appreciated, feel accomplished. The world doesn't always work that way though. One thing is certain, the term millennial (however valid it may be) makes me feel crappy. Which apparently reinforces that I am in fact a millennial. UGH.

No comments:

Post a Comment